Rotarians are needed to spend time with the students at Celia Clinton, and you don’t need to be a member of the Partners in Education Committee to participate.
If you’ve ever seen the joy and excitement on a child’s face when he or she learns something new, then you understand the heart of the Rotary Club of Tulsa’s Partners In Education program with Celia Clinton Elementary School. Since November 5, 1993, our members have mentored and tutored the school’s students, provided reading materials to the library and more. In fact, each week at Rotary, instead of a speaker gift, a book is donated to the Mike Chittom Memorial Media Center at Celia Clinton Elementary School. Over the years the club has donated close to a thousand books.
Rotary-sponsored Partners In Education Programs
Rotary-sponsored programs at Celia Clinton include:
- Mentoring and tutoring to provide one-on-one support for students
- Providing reading materials to the library and a personalized dictionary to each 3rd grader
- Teaching Junior Achievement courses in the classrooms to help students understand about working to earn and save money
- Re-enforcing responsible behavior and academic performance through quarterly parties and other incentives for achievers
- Supporting the school’s family literacy outreach
- Assisting teachers with classroom supplies
- Fire Safety Day presentation by Firefighter Dayna Hilton and “Tango the Fire Safety Dog” to train students in fire safety, fire survival and personal safety skills See pictures >>
- Welcome back to school watermelon party See pictures >>
The program involves about 30 Rotarians who regularly mentor individual students in reading and other subjects or who interact with a class.
How to Volunteer
Volunteers must agree to a background check by Tulsa Public Schools. If you are interested in volunteering please complete the following forms by clicking on the links below. Return the completed forms to Celia Clinton’s volunteer coordinator, Margaret Shelton, at email@example.com or phone 918-746-9338.